1.03.2010

I am captured.

Nabihag ako. (I am captured.)


Nabihag could mean enslaved (as used in the translation of Bayan Ko) but it could also mean captured. And boy I was captured by the goodness of their version. I have it on repeat.





"Jose Corazon de Jesus prepared the original lyrics of this song and the melody was done by Constancio de Guzman. As mentioned in the Philippine Graphic Centennial Yearbook, 'This song has accompanied almost every struggle since the turn of the century to recapture the visions and ideals of the First Republic - from the anti-American protest movement and millenarian revolts of the 1920's and 30's, to the resistance against the Japanese occupation in the 40's, the student revolt of the 70's and more recently, the 1986 'People's Power' revolt that toppled the Marcos dictatorship.' "

Bayan Ko (My Country)

Bayan ko, binihag ka, (O, my country, you were enslaved,)
Nasadlak sa dusa (Mired in hardship)

Chorus:
Ibon mang may layang lumipad (Even birds that are free to fly)
Kulungin mo at umiiyak (Cage them and they cry)
Bayan pa kayang sakdal-dilag (Much more a beautiful country)
Ang 'di magnasang makaalpas? (Shall long to be free?)
Pilipinas kong minumutya, (Philippines my beloved,)
Pugad ng luha at dalita (Cradle of my tear and poverty)
Aking adhika, (I'll aspire)
Makita kang sakdal laya. (To see you truly free.)

Ben's solo:
Ang bayan kong Pilipinas (My country Philippines)
Lupain ng ginto't bulaklak (Land of gold and flowers)
Pag-ibig na sa kanyang palad, (With love in her palms)
Nag-alay ng ganda't dilag, (She offers beauty and virtue)
At sa kanyang yumi at ganda, (And her modesty and beauty)
Dayuhan ay nahalina; (The foreigner was attracted;)
Bayan ko, binihag ka, (O, my country, you were enslaved,)
Nasadlak sa dusa (Mired in hardship)

Chorus:
Ibon mang may layang lumipad (Even birds that are free to fly)
Kulungin mo at umiiyak (Cage them and they cry)
Bayan pa kayang sakdal-dilag (Much more a beautiful country)
Ang 'di magnasang makaalpas? (Shall long to be free?)
Pilipinas kong minumutya, (Philippines my beloved,)
Pugad ng luha at dalita (Cradle of my tear and poverty)
Aking adhika, (I'll aspire)
Makita kang sakdal laya. (To see you truly free.)

Laya. (Free.)
 
I hope the studio version could be released on itunes or better yet be included in their new album so more people could hear the goodness of the song. Though you can clearly hear the accent of the boys, I'll give them lots of credits for doing their version. It must have been really hard learning the lyrics and pronunciation. I really like how they delivered the song. It's almost like they really love Philippines. I feel emotional whenever I listen to their version. In fact, it's on replay and I watched their youtube video once again and got teary eyed. Many people were complaining about the fans' applause and cheers during the song, but one could never explain the feeling that the audience had felt when they heard one of the greatest Filipino songs ever written being sung by a London Boys' Choir.

Anyhoo, back to the studio version. The opening part was haunting and they did a really good sustain on the note. And the "aaahhh" part in which you can clearly hear Mini Ben was breath taking. The chorus part was glorious. You could hear the harmony that blends perfectly on the melody. And I don't know why, but I think the sweet voice that sang the "aaaaah" fits well with the lyrics "Bayan pa kayang sakdal-dilag ang 'di magnasang makaalpas?". And did I hear TOM? The tenor part on the chorus was like screaming Tom on my ears. It was lovely. 


The verse part was done by Mini Ben. As Syafiqah said, aside from the fact that Mini Ben did the solo on the song, you can clearly hear him in the entire song. It's like he dominated the whole song. I like the way he interpreted the song. The emotions that was portrayed and even the breathing was perfect. I got chills in the grandioso part towards the end...it was like screaming freedom. which is really good.
 
Ps. I'm so sorry if I don't want to post it to youtube for everyone to hear it. I just thought that Libera wouldn't want their song be released in that way.

1 comments:

Syafiqah H. said...

I LOVE BAYAN KOOOOOO! Omg, I think it's the BEST solo EVER done by Ben :D Oh my, you can hear my excitement lol by the caps used in the comment hehe :D But this song is SUPERB!!! *inserts a million thumbs-up*

Post a Comment

Be friendly and say only nice things. If you have nothing good to say, then don’t comment. If you do not like my blog, then leave. If you disagree in my opinion, don’t take it personally as it is MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION and I do not intend to harm anyone in anyway. And most of all, no fighting... we're all Libera fans right?